Friday, July 3, 2015

Behind the Scenes at the Opera House: Kathleen Turco Lyon

We are extremely excited to welcome Kathleen Turco-Lyon back to Stonington. You probably remember her from her visit back in 2011, when she took the stage as both Elizabeth I in Elizabeth Rex and Dogberry in Much Ado About Nothing. Now you'll get to know her as Arkadina in this summer's seashore production of Chekhov's dark comedy The Seagull. But first, you really should get to know Kathleen as...well...Kathleen.


1. Where did you grow up?

The suburbs north of Philly, and of Richmond, VA.

2. How would your elementary school classmates remember you?

Happy, always curious about people, willing to engage… and very good at finger painting! 

3. Name four fictional character with whom you'd be okay being stuck in an elevator. Why them?

All at the same time?  Ok… Gertrude from Henry James’ novel The Europeans.  She’d keep me giggling.  Cerimon from Shakespeare’s Pericles.  She’s a magician, after all, and so intuitive — certainly the elevator wouldn’t be stuck for long.  Polixenes, the King of Bohemia in Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale; he'd bring kindness, calm, and a breath of fresh air to cramped quarters, and  Wilma Flintstone— she’d give the elevator company what-for for getting us stuck in the first place, plus, she’d keep her sense of humor in a less-than-elegant situation… and ever notice what common sense she has?  (Especially with family matters.) And how organized and clean her house is?  Oh, I aspire! 

4. If you were a cartoon character, which cartoon character would you be?


This is a tough one, but I probably have to say Caspar the Friendly Ghost.   I love that he helped everyone, and was kind about it. And he could fly!  And I bet he smells like marshmallows, which I love! 

5. When did you fall in love with theater?

Oh, that’s an easy one; I remember the exact moment: 15 years old.  In the parking lot of my high school getting ready to drive home (I had my learner’s permit) after a performance of Flowers For Algernon. (I played the sister, and had just ONE scene).  I had one foot on the gravel, and one foot in the car, and my body suddenly froze, and out loud I said "Oh, my GOD!"  Because in that moment, I KNEW.  It took my breath away just a little bit, because my next thought was “How can I be 15 and know this is what I want for the rest of my life?”  Truly, it was an unmistakable, unforgettable feeling.  And I knew my biggest love would be for drama. 

The Seagull opens next Friday at the breathtaking Ames Farm. You don't want to miss out on this amazing performance. Why? you ask. Because of everything director Peter Richards says here.  Seating is very limited, so get your tickets today!

No comments:

Post a Comment